020 – Designing Adventure Card Games with Mike Selinker
For Episode 20 of the Nerdlab, I have had the honor to interview Mike Selinker. A legend in the Game Design industry. He is the brain behind many of the games that inspired me to start my quest as a game designer. Just to mention a few:
- Pathfinder Adventure Card Game
- Betrayal at House on the Hill.
Mike spent 8 years of his life designing the first Adventure Card Game and today he is going to share incredible insights into this design process with all of us. It was a blast for me to talk to Mike. We even talked about Maslow’s hierarchy of need and the self-confidence and mindset you need to have as a game designer. I hope you will enjoy the show.
- What is the mindset young game designers need to develop?
- What is the perfect team size?
- What is the best way to put your stuff out there?
- And where the hack is Game Design on Maslow’s hierarchy of needs?
- What is the Afghanistan principle?
- Design Process of the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game
- World Building and Storytelling in Apocrypha
- Companion Apps, their purpose and how it was implemented for Apocrypha
- How to involve the community to create content for your game
Music by Mathew Pablo