In Episode 31 of the Nerdlab podcast, I have the honor to talk to Paul Grogan of the Gaming Rules! Youtube Channel. Paul is creating a huge amount of content in the board game industry. He is famous for his instructional youtube videos. He explains rules, does a lot of reviews and playthroughs but he is also professionally editing rulebooks and is performing demos at conventions. I have no clue how many games Paul played in his life but it must have been hundreds. And the best thing is, Paul did not only play games. He was also involved in the development of Mage Knight.
In our discussion, we focussed on the following questions:
- How do you define theme in board games?
- What is the difference between theme and setting?
- What makes a game thematic?
- Is there a scale of thematic games?
- How to design a thematic game?
- What are the most thematic games?
These are just a few of the questions Paul and I discussed in today’s show.
Music by Mathew Pablo