Nerdlab Community Rules
These are the rules that explain who we are, why we’re here, and what we’re doing. If you’re wondering if the Nerdlab is right for you, look no further. Hopefully, the ideals that we stand for resonate with you – we’d be glad to have you.
We want to build a community of nerds like us who genuinely want to see each other succeed. We want to talk about the hard stuff that often holds us back and fight our inner demons together. We want to celebrate the journey as much as the big finish.
1. Committed – Once committed we are in for life! – Being a game designer is not an ordinary job. It’s a passion.
- Once you have committed yourself there is no way back. You will not be able to find enjoyment and fulfillment in an ordinary day job again.
- You are in for life!
2. Persistent – We are in it for the long run. Never give up on your dreams!
- Success will not come overnight. Almost all successful game designers on this planet failed in one or more designs before becoming successful (However, I can’t tell for the other planets in the multiverse).
- One skill that most designers have in common is persistence. Don’t give up if something fails on the first spot. Try to learn from your mistakes. Adept your skills, your game or your target audience.
- We are in it for the long run. So take one step at a time and never give up on your dreams!
3. Inclusive – Everyone is treated equally. We don’t judge – We don’t judge you for who you are.
- We don’t judge you for who you are. For the skills you have or for where you are on the game design journey.
- Everyone is welcome.
- The only thing we care about is who you want to become and what you want to achieve!
4. Transparent – We are true, fair and honest
- We are authentic and honest.
- We do not cheat or try to rip somebody off.
- Therefore, we are transparent in all our intentions and decisions.
5. Enthusiastic – Enjoyment comes first – Fun with what we do
- We choose our craft based on the things we enjoy to do. Not on monetary possibilities
- We are aligned with our passions and build games we really care about.
- Let’s celebrate people who are aligning their life’s work with the things that they get to do every day.
6. Helpful – We create value and help others
- If someone needs help in our commuity we do not hesitate to help out. Beeing it with help or advice.
- We invest in long-term relationships. The payoff comes later.
- No one understands a game designer like another game designer. Let’s open up to each other and help one another through this crazy journey.
7. Eager to learn – Never stop learning, always remain curious and question everything
- Never grow up. Well, I guess we all have accomplished that 🙂
- Never lose the curiosity of a child.
- Never stop learning and invest in yourself!
- Explorer new possibilities and viewpoints
8. Positive – We are positive and take pride in ourselves
- We all face our inner demons. Limiting beliefs are absolutely normal. The difference between winners and losers? We think positive and encourage others to do the same.
9. Proactive – Take action – Overcome Procrastination
- We overcome procrastination and take action whenever possible.
- If you acquire knowledge and don’t take action it was a waste of time.
- We always ask ourselves: Whats is the one thing that you could do right now to push your ideas forward?
10. Impactful – We want to change the world
- Think big. Try to solve big problems and impact the world.
- We all want to leave a legacy! Isn’t this what we are meant to do altogether?
If these guidelines resonate with you and also describe your way of thinking we hope you take action now and join the awesome Nerdlab Community.