022 – The one thing you need to know as a Game Designer
Get the companion PDF File for this episode in order to transform this incredible advice into actionable items for your own journey.
In Episode 22 of the Nerdlab podcast, you will be listening to 14 of the greatest game designers of all times. All of them have answered one question:
What is the one thing you wish you had known before you started your journey as a game designer?
Game Designers featured in this episode:
- Corey Konieczka (Fantasy Flight Games – Rumours, Battlestar Galactica the board game)
- Bruno Cathala (Cyclades, Five Tribes, Abyss, Kingdomino, Shadows over Camelot)
- Mike Elliott (Magic the Gathering, Pokemon, Hearthstone; Duelmasters, Battlespirits, Thunerdstone, Dicemasters, Shadowrun Crossfire)
- Jamey Stegmaier (Viticulture, Charterstone, Euphoria, Scythe)
- James Wilson (Everdell)
- Fabian Zimmermann (Tiefe Taschen, Good Critters)
- Kevin Riley (Aeons End)
- Eric Reuss (Spirit Island, Fealty, Science or Die)
- Donald X. Vaccarino (Dominion)
- Jacob Fryxelius (Terraforming Mars)
- Reiner Knizia (Lord of the Rings)
- Richard Garfield (Magic the Gathering, Roborally, King of Tokyo, Keyforge, Artifact)
- Mike Selinker (Pathfinder ACG, Apocrypha, Betrayal at the House on the Hill)
- Isaac Childres (Gloomhaven)
These designers have created the best games in the world, sold hundreds of thousands or even millions of copies of their games and are the brains behind the most successful Kickstarter campaigns out there. Their knowledge is unique and their games are my main source of inspiration. Their experience makes them role models for many other designers like you and me. And all of them are going to share their most important advice with you!
Thank you for listening and until next week
Music by Mathew Pablo